Sunday, November 18, 2012

Circular Indecision

11-17-12

(Once again, it's not really the 18th until I've slept some. I had a great night playing Age of Empires II. I wish Landen had let me play while on Ebeye so I'd be a lot better now. But I understand why he didn't. It takes a long time. Anyway, this is fiction. Maybe fiction-y.)

__________________________________________

"I think you should go for it."
"But why? Last time--"
"Last time doesn't matter. It hurts, but it's in the past."
"You're not Rafiki. Seriously, this is the real world and--"
"And in the real world, nothing happens unless you make it happen. Things just don't 'magically' happen. You've got to take your life by the reins. Seize the day. Carpe diem."
"That's just seize the day in Latin."
"I was emphasizing the point by repeating it. Now, listen. You go up to him and you--"
"La la la. Not listening!"
"You're not Smeagol, you know. All you have to do is say it."
"But I don't want to make things awkward. I don't want to lose what I've already got."
"I see your point, but I think your argument is invalid."
"But what if it goes terribly? Like all that stuff in high school?"
"Okay, so do some research. Ask his friends. They know him. They'd be able to figure it out."
"Oh, and let them know? They could tell him. It could go so wrong, and I don't know if I could handle that. I'm just afraid--"
"Yeah, and look where all that fear's gotten you. Nowhere you want to be, is it?"
"That's low."
"It's true."
"But...but..."
"I think you should go for it."
"But why? Last time--"
"Look, this argument is never going to end unless you decide to do something. So far, all you've ever decided--except for that time, don't look at me like that--is to suck it up and say nothing. Who is that keeps saying what the definition of insanity is?"
"Is it talking to oneself in the mirror? 'Cause if so, we've lost it."
"You mean I've lost it."
"Yeah, yeah, whatever."
"So you should make a decision, either way. Which one would you be happier with? Speaking, or not speaking?"
"I just don't know..."
______________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Mirror conversations. Given the "y," I feel compelled to say that you shouldn't be too hard on yourself.

    I doubt that is at all helpful. However, you're doing the best you can, and you shouldn't rush into anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks. I'm my harshest critic.

    ReplyDelete