Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Roar

11-6-12

Yeah, there's an election going on. It's definitely not what's been at the top of my priority list today.

For Monday's capstone reading, I read (well, skimmed, actually) Margaret Fuller's "The Great Lawsuit," written in 1843. I was intrigued by one section, which reads:

         But early I perceived that men never, in any extreme of despair, wished to be women. Where they admired any woman they were inclined to speak of her as above her sex. Silently I observed this, and feared it argued a rooted skepticism, which for ages had been fastening on the heart, and which only an age of miracles could eradicate. Ever I have been treated with great sincerity; and I look upon it as a most signal instance of this, that an intimate friend of the other sex said in a fervent moment, that I deserved in some star to be a man. Another used as highest praise, in speaking of a character in literature, the words "a manly woman."
        It is well known that of every strong woman they say she has a masculine mind.
        This by no means argues a willing want of generosity towards woman. Man is as generous towards her, as he knows how to be.
        Wherever she has herself arisen in national or private history, and nobly shone forth in any ideal of excellence, men have received her, not only willingly, but with triumph. Their encomiums indeed are always in some sense mortifying, they show too much surprise. 

So, I was like, "Wow, that seems familiar," but really didn't pay attention to it.

Until today.

I was at work, tutoring a student. His paper was for a class that I took last year, and so I could really give good suggestions on structure and what not. He seemed appreciative, but was super worried about how stressed the paper had made him. So I gave the example that when I was doing the paper, I was also doing a history paper that gave me a hard time because it turned out to be mostly original-ish research.

He asked me what my paper was about.

"Oh, the structure of Cromwell's New Model Army compared with the structure of pirate societies in the Golden Age of Piracy," I answered.

"Who's Cromwell?"

So I told him who Cromwell was. I mean, it's not something I expect everyone to know.

"You don't sound like a woman," he said, and then instantly backpedaled. "I mean, no offense. But it's just that women aren't interested in that, so it's weird to hear you talk like that."

I politely kept on with the session until it was over and then I went to class.

But--seriously, dude? I don't sound like a woman? You sound like an idiot. 

Maybe I'm spoiled to have male friends who appreciate the fact that I'm intelligent, but you, sir, are an idiot. Just because I'm educated does not make me not a woman.

I guess it bothers me because it's the first sexist remark of which I've ever been the direct recipient.   

10 comments:

  1. That is terrible.

    I mean, yeah, sure, I can give you specific examples end upon end of that sort of thing happening, but still. It bugs me.

    And I am also weirdly angered by the fact that some guys recognize the inequality of the system and respond by pretending that women are better than men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, putting us on pedestals isn't the answer either. I guess one reason I'm still single is that I'm intelligent. At least, it feels that way. (I've had someone suggest to me that I intimidate guys with my smarts. That's not cool, whether or not it's true.)

    I think what threw me most of all was the fact that I'd only previously encountered such an attitude in literature and history, not in a living person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are, and you do, but they're the kind that are easily intimidated. I hope that doesn't offend you? But yeah, I mean, most girls I know who are as smart as you are back down easily, even when they're absolutely right, and I think that's not a good thing.

    I'm glad you haven't had it directed at you before, though, because that proves that you have good taste in people and places, and maybe the world is changing.

    I mean, it definitely is. But sometimes it moves so slowly that we have people in Congress who think rape is consensual unless it gets shut down, and you know what, I'm glad Akin didn't get back in, and I'm glad people ridiculed him for it, and I just have a lot of feelings about this, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But then one would think that the not-easily-intimidated ones would be brave and, you know, like me or something. I do not want to perform. If that makes me a female version of Mr. Darcy, so be it.

    Hey, I'm from Indiana, where the guy who said that God ordained rape. He's an idiot. I'm super glad he lost.

    I had already voted against him because the reason he was on the ballot was because he'd run a dirty primary campaign smearing his opponent, Lugar, as old, out of touch, and guilty of working with those across the aisle. I've had respect for Lugar for a long time, and so I voted for the man I thought would be best to replace him. That guy won. I voted and the world moved a little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on voting, on doing what you believe is right and taking advantage of all the opportunities women have now. I am also super glad that guy lost.

    You don't have to perform, for sure.

    There is one other thing, though, that popped into my head just now. Relationships are hard. They mean work, and on top of that, doing the right thing doesn't always mean that you'll get what you want or even what you need. And loving someone will not make that person love you back, and you're worth being loved without putting effort into it (I mean, obviously: God's love), but who knows whether you'll get the sort of love you want to have? Imagination does not equal reality.

    This is a super schizophrenic comment, but I guess-- not all of us are as privileged as Darcy. We can't all hide how we feel behind a terrible attitude and assume that the person we love is interested, will figure it out, and will love us based on our good looks, our wealth, or our eloquent letter writing skills. We probably won't even get the chance to do something big and sacrificial for that person. Even if we do, maybe it won't make a difference. So what kind of love can we honestly expect for ourselves?

    I think I'm writing this more to me than to you, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. So I'm posting it anyway, and I hope you don't mind. I hope it makes some sort of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that God loves me, but even though it doesn't take work, it still did. It was work for Jesus to sacrifice Himself on the Cross when He could have just said, "Peace, ya'll, I'm out of here." The reason why He went through the work was because the love didn't. If that makes any modicum of sense.

    But, my biggest problem, it seems, is that I can't tell when someone else likes me. Or how to tell if I'm dropping hints (unintentionally or intentionally) on an appropriate scale. I just don't get how the whole process works.

    [Apparently that's part of my personality type. Everything I've ever read about INTJs talks about how romantic relationships (and, to a degree, regular friendships) are difficult for them because they don't make sense. I know we can't fit everything about oneself into those four-letter descriptors, but it makes sense.]

    I don't think I have a terrible attitude like Darcy did; I just don't want to perform to people in order to make them like me. Part of me has semi-learned how to flirt. Another part of me is like, "Why do I have to make small talk? Shouldn't they like me just because?" Then you add the fact that I'm intelligent and apparently intimidate guys and I'm sunk. I can't help being attracted to the guys I'm attracted to, yet I'm also terrified of being hurt and so I pull back. Usually. If you see me not pulling back, it's because I'm making an effort. For me, it takes work to even have friends, let alone a boyfriend. I just don't feel called to be single, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does make sense.

    I meant we don't have the work; God does. I mean, all we have to do is keep on trusting Him, and I know that's hard, but He does all the really hard stuff.

    I don't think you have a bad attitude, and I did not intend for you to think so. But how much would someone have to be worth to you for you to put yourself out there and tell him how you feel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard question. One whose answer I'm not sure of.

    I suppose I'd want the teensiest sign that he was interested in me. Then again, I suppose I would just have to feel safe talking to him in order to do so. Alan once called me a lockbox; I don't really give up the keys willingly.

    [And I didn't think you thought I had a bad attitude. It was just a general comment on how I didn't think I had one.]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay. Well, that makes sense, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't help that I explained a bunch of this to you today.

    ReplyDelete