10-11-11
Well, I've never actually whittled anything, unless you can count the times I used my pocket knife to scrape bark off ridiculous "walking sticks" that were never strong enough to be walking sticks. So, no, I've never whittled. Literally, anyway.
Metaphorically, however, is a different story.
I have decided that I don't particularly want to be a reporter. I like knowing new information, I like writing about people and what not, but I don't like having my story assigned to me, I don't like having people edit my writing (though admittedly, sometimes it needs it and I just need to deal with that), and I don't like the quick deadlines that others (aka, sources) don't have respect for.
I have a tendency toward perfectionism, and so, as long as I have to depend on other people for information and quotes and what not, I will be frustrated with my time constraints. And with editors who don't give me my assignment until over 24 hours after I turned in a beat report. (I don't really care if there's 'breaking news'; my grade depends on me having time to do what you've assigned, and so I can't do it until you've assigned it. I mean, it's only happened once, but still, I don't really find that acceptable.)
So I don't want to be a reporter.
Joy. I've just whittled another possible career out of my illustrious future.
Which, of course, still leaves me with a ton of possibilities. I still will keep the News Editorial minor because I've now invested in half of the minor's classes, and I don't necessarily have to take Advanced Reporting (I don't plan to, thanks very much). Ah, well, good to know and good to have eliminated that possibility.
More later.
I'm glad you've figured it out. The skills may come in handy someday, though. Who knows? :-)
ReplyDeleteWell, I did pick up the minor to round out my skills, so I guess that's good. They might be handy, and that's why I'm not regretting being in the class...
ReplyDeleteYeah, news reporting isn't for everyone. I like some aspects of it, but dislike others. Not sure I'd like to be a reporter full-time either, but I sure don't regret any of the comm. classes I took or learning the skills that I did. Whittling is good!
ReplyDelete