Thursday, October 20, 2011

die grüne Maschine

10-20-11

I've been avoiding driving at night because I only had brights and my dims had stopped working. Well, I usually avoid driving if I can help it. I don't like doing it, really. Something about other people being idiots and potential bringers of injury and/or death, at least three vehicles that have left me stranded on the side of the road, the fact that sometimes following the traffic laws does not stop cops from pulling you over [my first and ever warning; I'll tell that story sometime], and my lack of driving experience. I probably worry too much, but nevertheless, I need to drive occasionally to get rid of that lack of driving experience stuff.

Now, I have what my parents' mechanic/autoperson says is a "very decent little truck." I'm the owner of a dark green 1999 Dodge Dakota pickup truck. I've discovered that it doesn't really like going up hills with a load of stuff in 90-degree weather, and that it leaks power steering fluid almost sieve-like, but overall I like it. I had to have something or other replaced so that it didn't leak transmission fluid anymore. It needs cleaned out, and I need to replace one of the back windows with glass or plexiglas. I'm going to take it for an oil change and fluids check tomorrow, which will cost about $20. (It's a deal. I'm going to take it.) Still, it runs and the radio works.

Today I learned how to take the headlights' lightbulbs out and replace them. Teri helped me, and I mostly did the second light by myself. She told me that they should last a year at minimum.

I wish I knew how to do all that car stuff; maybe it should be a required freshman class or something. I know I had Tech class in high school, but come on, that class really was a joke. The best thing we did there was learn how to do an oil change and build cardboard boats that we actually tried out in the pits.

I want to learn how to maintain my vehicle properly. Yes, I need to vacuum it out, but I want to keep it running as long as possible. I want to prevent stuff from happening as much as I have power to prevent it. Far better to spend some money now than sit on the side of the road and end up junking a van that you'd just spent money on the day before.

Also, I actually need to get out and drive. Granted, I still have more than half a tank of gas from the tank I got the day I arrived on campus in August because I walk more often when I'm on campus. However, I need to branch out a bit and stop being so scared of everything. 'Cause, let's face it, that's what I am, and I'll only be limiting myself and just existing unless I do something about it. Argh.

More later.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, yeah. I know how you feel. I mean, I feel incompetent with my car, too. I love driving except at night and except in cities. If there are other people in the car, I'd rather have someone else drive.

    You can do it.

    Captcha says "pooties." What is . . . I mean . . . okay.

    ReplyDelete