Friday, January 15, 2010

Words

1-15-10

Words are powerful things. In the hands of people, they can be either dangerous or wonderful.

A long time ago, I read a book about the five love languages (quality time, words of affirmation, giving gifts, acts of service, and touch). Everybody has all of them, but everyone has one or two that dominate how they receive and give love. The two that I think affect me the most are words of affirmation and quality time. One of the best things in the world to me is a good lengthy meaningful conversation with someone I love.

Anyway, there are many things that I am not gifted with, but I have at least a small gift with words. Ever since I changed on Ebeye, I have tried to make it my practice to use my words to lift others up (also since we tend to give love the way we receive it best). That involves me dropping by people I know and telling them what I honestly think, especially if it's a good thing. (Mostly if it's a good thing.) Pretty much, I want to share the joy of life that I now feel.

Today I was having a really good day (though I do say nice, true things on days I don't feel so well), and so, I stopped by a professor's office this morning before I ate lunch, just to say hello, ask how they were, and for them to have a great day. Well, I really respect this professor (one of my favorite teachers in my department), and I was babbling on about the fact that I'm really enjoying reading Milton's Paradise Lost for fun and how I was planning to read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales next and how I'm enjoying the class that the particular teacher is teaching and how I'm seeing all these connections between the Romantic writers and one of my favorite authors (C.S. Lewis) and what not. Well, the teacher told me that I was "an asset to [the] department." I don't even really remember what else the teacher said, but that statement really made me feel EVEN more awesome. It's been difficult to quit smiling, not that I want to quit smiling.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment