1-24-10
[Note: I don't have everything about relationships and such between people all figured out, but this is something that I am thinking because of the episode I shall be relating farther down in this post, and I think it may have some truth. There you go.]
Flirters are people I know, am friends with, and have decided that it's amusing to poke fun at. Sometimes I'm actually aware of what I'm doing, and most of the time I am not. This would include chilling with friends at the cafeteria and going out to dinner in groups on Saturday nights. However, flirting is not smiling at a stranger. Regular smiling is being nice and unrude, at least in the culture I have grown up in. I want to spread sunshine in the world, and a grumpy visage does nothing but spread clouds. Anyway, most of the flirting I've taken part in, I have wanted, and that's why it's flirting.
Creepers are people I do not know, have never met before, and decide to walk up to me, tell me their first name, ask me if I want to chat online sometime, and then hand me a business card about chatting. A business card? Are you serious? And, really, in the church lobby? You look like you're thirty-something years old, maybe even forty. I am twenty-two. You cannot be serious.
My reply? "Um, no," and I handed back the card. The guy moved away, and I was glad that he didn't keep trying to pursue it, because I immediately planned to go speak to the pastor who was standing at the far end of the lobby if he did.
Soon, I was sitting in a pew and glad that a friend showed up. Before offering was finished, two of my friends from camp who are guys saw me and sat with me (they had no idea what had happened), and I had them walk me back to the dorm after church, especially after we walked by the guy as we left the sanctuary. At lunch, I explained why I had asked them to walk me back, and they said, "Any time." I'm glad I have guy friends who would agree to that, no questions asked. I'm glad they're my friends.
However, why is some guy trying to pick girls up in the lobby of church? Granted, I'm sure church is a nice place to meet people who (usually) believe like you do and what not, but I'm a big believer in being friends first. I'm also a big believer in the fact that I want the supposed one to be around my age. I've met nice people (men and women) at church before, and I've gotten e-mail addresses and what not, but AFTER a conversation. I suppose I should find it gratifying that he thought me interesting enough to even ask, but I don't (see my definition of flirting vs. creeping, above).
I'm glad that I've stuck to just having friends right now. However, that happening was just plain weird, and I really hope it doesn't happen often.
More later.
No comments:
Post a Comment