11-13-11
Well, on Sabbath, I overslept and ended up streaming the Renewal service through my computer (even though I live across the street from the church). I know, I'm lazy, okay, whatever, I needed the sleep.
Anyway, the mission moment was the Pewitts, who returned three weeks ago from eleven years of missionary work in Cambodia. The organization they went through is Adventist Frontier Missions, and I've been a reader of AFM's magazine since I was twelve. (That was twelve years ago. Yes, I know, I'm old and all that.) When I read their introduction article, I recognized their names from some devotional books that had been published, and so I've avidly followed their stories. I've been there with them the entire time through their stories that were published in the magazine.
So when they announced that the Pewitts would be doing another presentation at 2 PM, I knew where I'd be. I showed up a little early and ended up donating blood for the first time ever. (I've got a nice little bruise right now, but I figured that would happen. I also learned that if I wanted to continue donating blood, there is absolutely no way in this universe that I can look at that needle, or I'm going to pull a Dad.)
But I made it back into the church in time to hear some stories and I actually got to meet both Braden and Joie. It was really great to meet people that I felt like I already knew because I'd been reading about them for eleven years. After he asked me what my plans were for the future and we chatted a bit, Braden confirmed for me what Pastor Nelson said on Friday night: "Any vocation is a calling of Christ." He even told me about International Justice Mission, which, even if I never end up working for them or a similar organization, proves to me that pursuing a legal career doesn't mean I have to give up the idea of service. It might just give a different definition to it. But I'm going to leave that up to God to define.
I got to hang out with the friends that Alan calls the "English" crowd (even though we're not ALL English majors). We ate at the City Cafe, where I ate the very tasty Chattanooga omelette, and went back to Robby and Curtis's apartment and watched Tangled and most of 10 Things I Hate about You.
Today I got a lot of progress made. I only have three more convos that I have to get (thank you, symphony orchestra), I finished my draft of my Ancient Classics paper, and I printed off my infographic. Good times.
More later.
Good thoughts. I'm glad you're making progress.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think of us as the "English crowd" too . . .