2-10-10
I REALLY enjoyed the presentation tonight. It was done by Jim Ogden, one of the historians at the Chattanooga and Chickamauga National Military Park. He spoke about the importance of the campaigns leading to the siege and capture of Chattanooga because of the railroads and of cutting off the industrial infrastructure the South had (which it had).
I was excited because several of my ancestors were part of the Union troops involved in that campaign, and I haven't had much experience in finding out information about those battles (because everyone talks about Virginia, for goodness' sake. Like it was important or something. <--That was sarcasm, by the way.). Anyway, I talked to the historian after the presentation, and he helped me out. He even noticed that I was still in the library after the conversation had finished and got out the military bibliography that he'd mentioned to me and showed it to me, since it's a reference book in our library. My library may even have the regimental histories of the 40th and 73rd Indiana Infantries, which are the regiments that my ancestors were in.
More later.
No comments:
Post a Comment