Friday, October 11, 2013

Fall (Study) Break, Part 1

10/11/13

Seriously, it's midterm already? Already?

I mean,  I have a midterm test next Friday in SI 502 (that's my programming class). It's open code, open book, open everything but other people during the test. I've actually been considering applying to be a 502 GSI next fall; I keep finishing my code before discussion session and then helping my classmates. (Of course, it doesn't hurt that all MY GSI does is re-hash the lecture and barely lets us ask questions or help each other, when I know for a fact that many of the 502 GSIs have their sessions do exactly that, asking and helping.)

It's still my favorite class. Sadly, my least favorite thus far seems to be the archives one. Cassandra, one of my archives classmates (though she's also in 581 and 502 with me), says that maybe it's the class and not the specialization, that I should find a job doing archive-y stuff before changing my mind. But, you know, we're almost a 1/4 done with this program already. Like, no joke. It's practically graduation when you think like that. (Can't think like that. I have a test next week.)

I still have work next week, so it's not like it's an entirely 'break' break, but I don't have my class-from-10-to-7 day on Tuesday next week, so that's beautiful. But I have lots of projects I need to get a jump on--designing a collection preservation plan for a semi-fictional collection and figuring out my position paper for archives and studying for my 502 midterm by going through my old code. So I'll still be busy starting again tomorrow night. (Oh boy do I love Sabbath. I think I'm one of the least-stressed people in my cohort because I have 24 blessed hours when I don't worry about anything, especially school.)

More later during this (study) break.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you like at least some of your classes. I get that you're almost 1/4 done, but by that estimation, by midterms you'll have just finished your freshman year, yeah? I agree with Cassandra. It's not too late to get some experience and decide whether it's something you want to commit to.

    I am glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister is a crack archivist. She came home and looked at the state if a drawing our great-grandmother did with crayon and pen. She lamented vociferously the state of degeneration and suggested a dozen ways to save it.

    I hope you either find the joy in what you do, or find joy to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'd like to get an archiving job so I have some practice before going to the one I'll be at during the summer (I'll be in Maryland). Working in the stacks is great, but getting boring.

    Robby, I think your sister and I would have great archiving discussions; I only ever met her in person at Phil and Brooke's wedding. Mostly I know her through your reading of the cat podium papers. What exactly is she studying?

    ReplyDelete