Thursday, September 20, 2012

Winning

9/20/12

I won a tote bag with the first part of the Constitution on it today. By blurting out the answer to a question that hadn't even been asked yet. By knowing the fact that Theodor Geisel was known as Dr. Seuss.

Apparently for being myself.

A journalism friend said so, Robby said so, my mom said so.

And so I really like my tote bag. It's perfect for all the books I'm using for history research methods. It is superlative.

And yet I don't really feel comfortable with the fact that 'myself' is someone who is expected to know the answer when I know that I really don't know much. Just books and cleverness, as one fictional character said. I guess I'm just not confident in being smart or in being considered smart. I just haven't really liked standing out on purpose--I guess I've been afraid that it makes me look arrogant, that it makes me into a know-it-all (something that I know people thought I was when I was younger, something that I've strove to not be). *sigh*

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations.

    They say that the people who think they don't know much are the ones who know the most because they know there's much more to know, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know just the sort of things that everyone wants to know but doesn't. Math? Science? Economics? You know enough to appear intelligent. Music? Art? Design? You don't make a fool of yourself. Facts? Histories? Stories? You crush.

    So you have just the sort of intelligence that Western Civilization wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I suppose I do.

    But sometimes it just feels that it's not as appreciated in women as it is in men. Of course, that's a generalization, but yeah.

    ReplyDelete