Friday, December 2, 2011

A Singular Rant

12-2-11

I would have made this fiction-y, I'll have you know. I tried to think of an adequate way of doing so, but nothing happened. So I'll just revert to honesty.

I'm growing tired of being told that being single is a gift because I am more free, I am in more control, I am more whatever. I know this fact. Perhaps I need the occasional reminder when I'm feeling whatever, I'll admit that. I have low days and up days. Everyone does.

So what is it that bugs me about being told that? What is starting to really irk me is that the people telling me this fact are all IN relationships. So, thank you for your stunning insight, you who are actually in a relationship. Depending on my mood (which, of course, is my problem, not yours), you either sound condescending, ignorant, or arrogant.  It's probably a "Grass is greener" situation, but statements regarding another person's singleness can be very frustrating to the single person. (If, of course, they're similar to me in that this is frustrating.)

Condescending comes when it feels like you're being told, "Oh, poor you. It'll happen some day, but until then, it's a gift that you're single. It just takes time."

Ignorant comes when the saying comes across as "Oh, I don't see how you could possibly feel lonely. It's not like God made us for relationships or anything. You have friends, don't you? You can't be lonely because you have friends." [Perhaps said speaker never-ever-once-in-a-million-years felt lonely, but I seriously doubt that.]

Arrogant sounds like, "Oh, you'll know what it's like once you're in a relationship. You'll see. But it's a gift being single, you know. I wish I was back there. But if you really want to, well, just do it. It's not difficult. You just talk to people and BAM! relationship. Simple, really." What's unsaid is the thought Oh I am so glad that I am not you but it's definitely (and, maybe, unconsciously) in their tone. [But really, I've never understood how people see it as easy. Relationships of any sort take actual work, you know, and so I don't understand how people end up in relationships. Maybe that's my problem.]


So, if you want to be real and discuss your relationship, fine. I have friends and family, and that falls in the relationship category, even if those relationships aren't romantic. I'm open ears.

If all you want to do is offer me platitudes about how the right person is "out there" in the proverbial ether and make it seem like you're rubbing your relationship in my face (even by accident), please don't. Please explain to me that you're tact-impaired and we'll move on to other topics, like the weather and sports scores and classes and grades and what not.

Quite possibly the problem is all with me. I recognize that. But please do me a favor and stop telling me something I already know. It's irritating. (And, for some reason, a quote from Attack of the Clones just popped into my head when I wrote that.) More later.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I get what you're saying here.

    And well, my . . . apparently unique . . . position tells me there's something everyone is missing. Because falling in love . . . it's not something words are meant for, I don't think, and everyone's experience is different. And any attempt at putting anything about it into words always sounds ignorant, or arrogant, or condescending (and sometimes, of course, people ARE being those things).

    But my experience has taught me these things, for what they're worth:

    1. Loving someone else is more than a feeling or a choice or an action; it is a way of life, perhaps even life itself.
    2. Finding the right person won't happen in the time or place or way you think it should, but it will fit just right if God is at the center of your life (so you'll be fine).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that they're not usually trying to be those things, but that's the way they're coming across.

    And I agree with you, you know, with #'s 1 & 2. It's just frustrating to have people saying those things AND saying that I need to get a move on in finding someone. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing I don't like people saying is that I should be content with who I am before I can be in a relationship.
    First, don't judge whether or not I am content with who I am. Are you inside my head? No. Thanks.
    Second, who says "who I am" doesn't include a wife and kids and trips to the grandparents' house? I can't help but feel that God mandated "be fruitful and multiply" and that doesn't happen outside of a Christ-blessed relationship. So "being content" with who I am kind of includes being content with my desire for companionship, love, and progeny.

    So those annoying people can be poop heads for all I care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robby, thank you. You definitely made me feel better by writing that.

    ReplyDelete