Friday, December 2, 2011

Competition?

12-2-11

Okay, so I guess I should feel honored that they want me to organize some English majors for the Brock Bowl next week. But, apparently the head of my department was "trash-talking" to the leader of the opponents. Before my class with him, he told me about their conversation with his excited face on, the one where his eyes twinkle mischievously.

What was said:

"I told [that professor] that they're going down. And you know what she said?"

"No, what?"

I shouldn't have asked. Teachers apparently discuss students between them, and I guess I should take it as a compliment that the other professor pointed out that I was on my department's team. I'm sure that's what he meant it as.

Anyway, then he looks at me and says, "I want us to win this year."

To which I replied, "We won last year."

"We did?"

"Yep. By a lot, too. I remember. I was there."

"Well, I was there and I don't remember, but I believe you." And he basically summed up by saying we should strive to win anyway.

It's a fun rivalry. I like playing. But it's a team effort, in my opinion. It's the teams that make it fun. It's also just for fun, at least in my mind. I'm pretty sure the teachers involved just want the bragging rights of having won. Besides, I've never gone back on what I told Thurber all those years ago: I'm an English major, so I play on the English team, even with my history minor.

It's somewhat exciting, although a little geeky, but I know I will have a little difficulty in getting people to play. English majors are fickle about being up front, I've noticed. So I hope that the people I hope will be there will be there. (I'm looking at at least two of my blog-readers. Yes, I went there. Please play next week. And do you know someone who's still a student who's got skills in 20th Century? Maybe one of you?)

5 comments:

  1. I'm not doing it, but thanks for asking.

    Try Tyler. He's still a student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but will you be there? At least to cheer us on?

    Actually, I think you should try a bold thing and play. Or at least sit up there and be the fourth person. Being up there does not mean you have to answer. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should grab some froshmensssss.

    I mean, I knew the answer to a question as a freshman. They asked about Gunga Din and I was like I KNOW THAT ONE.

    There is worth in EVERYONE. ALL THE ONES.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, we should get freshmen. But they usually show up for departmentals. It's the seniors who usually skip. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There is worth in EVERYONE. ALL THE ONES."

    I just can't. This makes me ridiculously happy. Let the freshmen have their day.

    ReplyDelete