9-9-11
This is another of those fiction-y things. So, yeah.
___________
She wanted to do something unexpected, something that people would be pleasantly surprised that she had done it. Nothing illegal or completely stupid, just...unexpected.
For everything, it seemed, had become expected, routine. Homework, work, classes, all routine. This teacher assigns easy work; that teacher assigns hard work. (Relatively speaking, of course.) The person on the left in that class always answers; the person on the right in this class never answers.
She looked for the out-of-the-ordinary, to see and savor it. She looked for the small things that brought value and meaning into a day filled with brief verbal exchanges, tiny glances, barely perceptible nods. Sunrises and singing birds and sunshine and the green green trees all added to her days.
Still, something unexpected. Like meeting an old friend by chance. Or moving across the country. Or falling in love. Or something. Something unexpected. For her, at least.
For when--and, more importantly, why--had her habits become ruts?
____________
Yeah, I'm not sure where all that melancholy stuff comes from, but that's what was in my head for now.
I like looking for the unexpected, too.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the melancholy.
This is great. Thanks so much for the reminder to look for more in life than the normal, the everyday and the habitual. More people should look for the unexpected in their lives. Hey, that means I should, too. Guess I'd better get going on that...
ReplyDelete