Thursday, February 24, 2011

Yes, I'm Up Late (For Me). Whatever...

2-23-11 (for nine more minutes)

Fiction-y thing.

-----
"Um, I've got lots of stuff to do."

That really wasn't an answer--it wasn't a Yes or a No or even a Maybe. It was just an evasion. She wouldn't be mad if she were told No. It's not as if No made it the end of the world. Made the world a little more difficult, yes, but it didn't end it. But no answer had come forth, so she sat there and waited.

And when her roommate began dashing about fifteen minutes later to go meet her boyfriend, the lots of stuff to do apparently forgotten, she still hadn't gotten an answer to what was in fact a very simple question. So she followed the roommate out into the kitchen. "But I thought you were taking me to Wal-Mart. Um, I would have liked to have known like fifteen minutes ago."

"Oh, sorry," the roommate said, sweeping out of the apartment and to the student park. The boyfriend's top priority, she gets that, and the roommate has had a tough week, she gets that, but when she asked two days ago and was told Yes, she didn't think two days and lots of stuff and boyfriend would make someone be so inconsiderate as not to answer.

And by the time she went to bed, she still had no answer. Well, not in words, anyway.
-----

Note: I actually did make it to Wal-Mart. One of my housemates took me, and it took less time for us to get to Wal-Mart and shop and get back than the over-an-hour she'd been gone to the student park. But whatever. I ended up venting to one of my friends and now I'm going to bed. Night all.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch. I'm sorry. That's terrible. I'm glad you still got there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I'm sorry. Things like going to Wal-Mart seem so trivial until you're stuck without a car, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and most of the time it's not a problem, but spring break starts today and most of my friends (especially those with cars) are headed off campus. Most of the time I'm completely cool with being a pedestrian. What bothered me more was the lack of definitive answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it better than the other person never saying yes or no and just being like "I'm so busy that I will just not commit to anything lest I let you down?"
    I don't like that attitude either. At least make plans with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, she said yes a couple days ago when I first asked. And then said what starts this post when I came in, saw that she didn't look willing, and I asked, "Are you still willing to take me to Wal-Mart?"

    I am definitely a planner personality. I've learned flexibility from camp and from being a student missionary, but still, I like having plans. I just felt it was super rude to tell in her actions and not in words. Anyway...

    ReplyDelete