Sunday, February 20, 2011

Grungy Danes in Leather Vests

2-20-11

That's the version of Hamlet we went to today, for the Sigma Tau Delta induction. It was at the Chattanooga Theatre Centre, and I enjoyed it. I've never seen Hamlet before, though I have read it. The guy playing Hamlet actually slammed the girl playing Ophelia into the "Road Closed" sign and dented it during the "Get thee to a nunnery" speech. Also, I have no sympathy for Rosencranz and Guildestern (frankly, they got what was coming to them for attempting to betray a friend to his death)--though I did like how the cast handled the parts. The whole ensemble played those two, using masks for whoever was speaking the lines at the time.

Actually, the guy playing Hamlet reminded me of my friend Chase, who would probably do well in theatre. He already can do ninja dives and pop up running, etc., At least, that's what he does when we're playing zombie. Or whenever.

Then we took the scenic route to Las Margaritas (since the GPS told us to turn left onto a road that doesn't have a legal left turn onto it and we had to cross the river and turn around to go properly down the road). We ate, we had the ceremony, and we left. Sure, I missed a day of work, but I got to see my second-ever Shakespeare live play. It was awesome.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I was impressed by their take on Rosencranz and Guildestern. That was my favorite part of the play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY DANES.
    What did y'all think of the music? I thought . . . eeh. I didn't like it. And I was worried that somebody chose it for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music--I didn't recognize any of it. So, meh.

    But I realized this morning something that has always bothered me about Hamlet. Why the heck isn't Hamlet the king? And since his uncle is a usurper, why all the business with his father's ghost and revenge? Why doesn't Hamlet just go after Claudius to regain the throne, that, by law of succession (unless the Danes had a different law), was rightfully his? I mean, he was at college in Wittenberg, but seriously, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno. I think that perhaps sideways succession isn't as uncommon as people think: I mean, Richard had kids but John took over. Plantaganet for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. That's true. It also sort of made me think of Prince Caspian, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like the music. I thought the kids chose it, probably--or for the kids, that works too.

    As for Hamlet's kingship:
    1) He was off at school and his mom got married--tada, new king.
    2) Byrd mentioned in Approaches that the Danes had a type of electoral system--a counsel that would vote that the new king could be king. So, that had something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) Ah. That makes sense.
    2) Claudius probably rigged it. Or everyone was afraid to sleep since he apparently had poison he could pour in a person's ear and so voted for him.

    ReplyDelete