Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tidbits and Random Things

9-24-09

Last night a group of us gathered at the house Linda stays in to have the first SM Bible Study. I'm henceforth calling it the Midweek Retreat, for it sort of felt like the re-entry retreat a weekend or so ago. Linda, Grace, Kristina and I sang a little, and talked about Romans 12. It's a jam-packed chapter, for sure. It was good, and the time flew by. Also, worship credit, which is nice when you have to keep track of such things.

I am reading The Grapes of Wrath for Survey of American Literature. It's good so far, although I do have to keep putting it down every so often because there's only so much regional dialect I can read before my head starts spinning. But it's deep, and that's probably one reason why it's a classic. Actually, I'm doing a lot of reading, when I can fit it in. I got so used to being able to read last year that I miss it. I even read more at Timber Ridge than I do here at school. Oh, I do plenty of reading...of my textbooks, that is. Reading for pleasure is a much rarer occurrence, though I do try to indulge a lot of the time.

I'm also trying to squeeze my writing in, amid reading assignments, essays, and math homework. Some of the more memorable and tedious jobs at camporee have morphed into a new short story of mine--at least, I'm planning for it to be a short. Some of the main characters include a space pirate who isn't all that he seems, a Galactic Exchange teller who's stronger than she thinks, and a freighter captain who's currently in more development (he only appeared yesterday, and seems to be related to Jack Harkness). Ten points for that reference.

If you asked for a one word description of my current status, I would be hard-pressed to choose between "tired" and "busy." I'm not sure which one fits more. I'm very glad to be doing all I'm doing, and I'm just as busy as I was last year (I think), but here is more stressful. I think that may be due to the sheer abundance of possible distractions (like Facebook and other sites, benefit of a faster Internet connection that reaches into my dorm room). I'm aware of some of the problems, but have I taken many steps in order to correct my missteps? Not a lot of steps, anyway, but I have taken some. We shall see in the weeks and months ahead.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment