Sunday, November 10, 2013

You May Have Seen This Already...

but I don't care because it is beautiful. Also, now I'm going to talk more about it.


This is the 1886 copy of Tennyson's poems that I purchased last Thursday at Dawn Treader Book Shop, which is basically a book nerd's dream come true for finding secondhand (or thirdhand or whatever) books. Seriously, the first time I stepped in there I was afraid I was going to get lost. The shop is actually a bit bigger on the inside. Well, longer than it looks, and so it's deceptively smaller on the outside. Books everywhere, filling the shelves, lining the floor, that sort of thing. Sort of how I imagine Flourish and Blotts to look like.

Anyway, it was my second time in the shop, and this book spoke to me. Almost literally. It said, "Ashlee, if you do not buy me, I will disappear forever. I only cost $9.50 and I am gorgeous." And it is. The cover's a bit dirty and the edges a bit worn, but it was probably fantastic when it was first published. Inside there's pictures of Tennyson and the characters from his poems, and it has everything except what was published in the last six years of Tennyson's life because this was published six years before he died.

This book used to be in a library somewhere (specifically, the "Mt. Hope Library"), because it's still got its pocket and card attached to the backflap. Also, the title of the library neatly written in impeccable cursive above said pocket. Doesn't look like anyone ever checked the book out, though. (Boy, I know how that feels.)

Still, now it's got a new home with me, where, since my shelves aren't the best at present, I'm storing it on its spine because that's better than storing it on its fore-edge. My books deserve the best, especially now that I feel all guilty due to the preservation classes I've been taking.

P.S. I also purchased a copy of the Faerie Queene, which is exciting, but it's a more recently published paperback copy, which isn't as exciting as an 1886 copy of Tennyson. It just isn't.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that book store sounds amazing! What a gorgeous book! I'll bet it smells amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed gorgeous. :-) I am glad you found something so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? I would have thought that the pages wouldn't like being bent by gravity, and would prefer being hung — but I suppose the spine is far more fragile than the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ali: Yes, it smells like books in there.
    @ Janelle: Me too.
    @ Robby: Well, it's more due to my shelf than the book, which is in fairly good condition for having been a library book and having been published in 1886. My shelves right now are plastic bins turned on their sides. I really should invest in some cinder blocks and boards.

    It's something I learned in preservation class and while working in the stacks; if the book is stored on its fore-edge, gravity plus the stress on the spine can cause the text-block to disconnect from the spine. If stored the other way, then gravity can keep the book better connected. It's worse for paperbacks than hardbacks, but that's because paperbacks aren't bound well to begin with.

    ReplyDelete