11/3/13
Fiction-y.
___________________
She toyed with the thought as if it were some abstract, tangible thing.
Would she become something, flitting and fluttering just out of view? Would she fade into their fancies, having frittered away her time? Would she just become a whisper, a wisp on the edge of someone's mind?
The more rational parts of her knew that she hadn't, that she wouldn't, but the little What-If nagged, "Say it did happen. What would happen?"
Would she slink away? Slip and slide until she wasn't seen by waking thought? Hadn't she gone to the edge and launched away from the known, the safe, the comfortable?
Wasn't it her job to stay away from the periphery, from the shadows, the shade? She didn't have to be in the center--the spotlight was far too bright and hurt her eyes--but...
afraid to be forgotten
she turned the thought as someone spins a spade, the loam of her thoughts all churned.
__________________
I know this feeling. I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteI think maybe everyone does.
I like the sudden inclusion of a phrase offset, informally, without caps or punctuation.
ReplyDelete@ Janelle: Yeah, probably they do.
ReplyDelete@ Robby: I thought it looked best that way. I toyed with its placement in the piece but finally decided on its present location (obviously). It's the phrase that inspired the piece anyway.