Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Die Glänzendsten

3-13-12

Fiction-y, fiction-ish.
_____________

She was luminous.

At least, everyone said so.

"You shine so brightly," they said.

"You remind us of the sun," they said.

"You are luminous," they said. "Terrifyingly so."

 The fact of the matter was, it was lonely being luminous, let alone being terrifying.

###

He was luminous.

Well, not really. He didn't actually glow--that was scientifically impossible--but everyone knew it all the same.

They didn't speak to him because it was unnecessary. They tolerated him because they wanted the light. All but a few people wanted the light; those few actually cared about him, and it was so strange and wonderful that he didn't know how to respond except with childish foolery and odd behavior.

He knew that all other lights looked dim compared to him. It's not like he did it on purpose--it was his gift, his curse--he breathed brilliancy.

Still, even his closest friend, when frustrated, thought that sometimes he wasn't human. He was, unarguably so, but that just meant it hurt all the more when they didn't speak to him because he glowed.

It's not as if he dabbled in radioactivity. Yet.

___________________

7 comments:

  1. Hmm. This seems familiar. Quite familiar.

    I like the last line. :-)

    Is this sorting, then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorting?

    Well, the last part is fictionish, so I based it off something fictional. Take a guess as to whom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately had three guesses. I most want it to be Sherlock, but I see connections to Ender and Bean and also to Kirk and Spock (although to be fair, I really don't think that would be your pick).

    There are also some interesting connections to LOTR characters and to Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, your first guess is the right one. I was thinking Sherlock. (But now that I think about it, I could see the others as well. But I was thinking Sherlock.)

    It's interesting--I was doing some research on my personality type, and apparently, many of the fictional characters considered to be my type are villains. Really smart villains, but still, villains. Like Moriarty. (Sherlock does show up on the list sometimes. It's very interesting.)

    There's not a lot of women on the list (fiction or non-fiction) because we're apparently very rare, which is what the guy at Meet the Firms said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is indeed interesting. I think that's one thing that makes Sherlock so special.

    I think perhaps women just do not take the tests. But then again, I have certain theories about the personalities of some women I know, and that colors everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I identify with Sherlock--not the extremes, mind you, but I can identify with him. With Ender and Bean, too. With Harry. With Faramir and Mr. Darcy.

    Granted, not everything is determined by some test. Still, it's not super comforting to read that the area that my personality is supposedly the worst at is the area I'm having the most difficulty with in my life. *sigh* Maybe that should be comforting, but it's really not.

    (I'm still not quite sure what you meant by sorting, fyi.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, sorry. I was asking whether this meant you were still sorting out the "terrifyingly brilliant" in your mind or putting it away. You've already answered that. :-)

    Yeah, I identify with them, too. I don't know.

    Tests are not my favorite thing in the world. They're helpful sometimes, I guess. :-) I don't think it's meant to be comforting. I mean, I think people make it comforting because if they can say, "This isn't my choice; this is how I was wired," they don't have to do anything about it. But I think it's more like . . . a challenge, and some tools to help in meeting that challenge.

    I mean, after all, understanding pretty much always lends itself to finding solutions. (Take Ender or Sherlock or Kirk or Bean or just about anyone ever who was smart and solved a problem.)

    ReplyDelete