Thursday, December 20, 2012

Running to the Green Dragon Inn: A Graduate's Tale

12-19-12

(Yes, I know it's the twentieth. I haven't gone to bed yet.)

So, I'm a college graduate now. Got the fancy green diploma holder and everything. Had to explain what all the cords and medals around my neck meant. Shook President Bietz's hand. Had my picture taken. Multiple times. (No, I don't have any to upload at present.)

Went out for dinner with my friends (not all of them) afterward. Had fun. Re-hydrated. Watched television with them and now I'm still awake. I haven't packed anything that I want to send with my parents later today.

I'm a college graduate now. I don't feel any different. I suppose it's a little like becoming a teenager or turning twenty-one--you've become older, but you have to grow into it.

Part of me doesn't want to grow into it. I want to stay where I am--and I can't.

It's not just Bilbo who gets kicked out his front door and swept down the road. He, at least, had an end-goal of reaching Erebor; I don't know what's in store for me.

"'O!' said Bilbo, and just at that moment he felt more tired than he ever remembered feeling before. He was thinking once again of his comfortable chair before the fire in his favourite sitting-room in his hobbit-hole, and of the kettle singing. Not for the last time!" (The Hobbit, 46).

Well, Southern Adventist University, you've become my comfortable chair and favorite sitting-room. You're my kettle singing. And I don't know if I'll ever make it back to stop the Sackville-Bagginses from stealing my spoons.

2 comments:

  1. This is really well-written, and I like the idea of growing into it.

    It reminds me a bit of something I used a lot in high school classes when the teacher gave us something to do that made most of of my fellow students panic.

    You know, the "We don't know how to do this!" problem.

    I always read it through, took a deep breath, and reminded myself that the teacher believes s/he has prepared us for this moment. It isn't a surprise to him/her, and so s/he has already given us either the method for solving the problem or the resources to figure out that method. Therefore, we will never encounter a problem we don't know how to do, so if we're patient and start looking, we will definitely find the answer.

    Now that I've finished typing all that on this phone, I realize that it's less than useful, but I don't want to delete it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's useful. And you have a good point. :D

    ReplyDelete