11-10-09
Last week was incredibly busy. I'm a Student Missions Club officer, and so I was involved in much of the preparation and execution of Student Missions Emphasis Week, which took place last week. I spent a portion of Sunday borrowing cell phones and making calls in order to get people to hand out hot drinks of the Promenade for last Monday morning. Blessedly, we got enough people. Although the setup of the drinks left me a little breathless (I ran from the Student Center to Brock in order to get to my first class), the day went smoothly. My friend Kevin helped me gather all the leftover supplies together, and I suppose someone put them away while I was at work. Anyway, then we handed out candy and invitations in the dorms on Tuesday evening. It took me an hour and a half to cover the third and fourth floors of Thatcher South, but I think it was well worth it. One person even told me, "This is the third time someone's told me about the Expo." And my reply? "Good." Wednesday we wore cultural dress, and on Thursday we wore our white flag shirts (and my flag shirt has unfortunately had a washing machine accident and I hope I can get the pink out; I washed the load in cold, and somehow a jacket bled onto my bath towel, a sock, and part of my flag shirt. I am not pleased.). On Friday we had set-up for the Expo, and then we had vespers. Vespers went smoothly, and the Expo did, too. Three people signed up as interested in Ebeye, and that, of course, excites me. But all the booths had at least one person sign as interested, and that excites me even more.
I am very busy, as my last post noted. Homework, of course, but I'm also working on the next issue of Roots and on several homework-y projects that are due within a few weeks (like a research paper for Cross-Cultural Experience or my paper for American Literature over The Grapes of Wrath; I need to buckle down and do those papers). I recently finished reading Moby Dick, and I'm not entirely sure why it's still read today (especially since I'm a fast reader and this book took me a year to read). Seriously, it was thin on plot and thick on encyclopedia. I would have preferred to read a short story about the whalers who all die but Ishmael because of a crazy hunt of Moby Dick, the White Whale, instead of having to wade through all the detailed descriptions of the different types of whales and Melville's rambly rants about everything. Also, I don't think I actually care about what the stupid whale symbolizes. I have some guesses, but you know what? I don't care. Perhaps that goes against everything an English major stands for, but, also, not much on the caring. I still need to finish Paradise Lost, which is also taking me a long time, but that's not because I don't enjoy it. That's because I have to be "in the mood" for epic poetry and have time to digest it properly. I haven't had time for that since I was subbing for Amanda during a week of Junior camp and got to swing in her hammock. Plus, I've been adding exercise, because it makes me sleep like a rock. In two days, I've walked four miles and biked four miles. Me likey.
Also, for randomness' sake, I wore my dive boots this evening, because it was raining and I figured that if my feet were going to get wet, they might as well get warm from the fact that the shoes are insulated. The only downside was that it doesn't have good arch support, but that's about it. They're comfortable, oddly enough.
More later.
No comments:
Post a Comment