Friday, February 1, 2013

February

2-1-13

My mom thinks that the suggestion of me going to teach in Korea is what I need to do. One person brought it up (the original suggestion), another brought it up, and a third was told by the first that it was on my table. Mom then goes, "Three! That's three!" As if it means something. It might, but sometimes it feels like she's trying to push me out of the apartment. I already feel like a burden and an inconvenience, let's please not add to that.

And, to unknowingly rub salt in it, she adds, "If you go, you might meet someone." I mean, I get it. She wants me to be happy, especially since she thinks I'm the one with the best chance of having a normal life. Still, I don't need a reminder that she proudly thinks my 3.97 is boring, and gives off the feeling  that I've somehow failed because I got a B.A. instead of a M.R.S. She doesn't do it on purpose, but that's the feeling I get.

*sigh*

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry. You teaching in Korea could be cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be, and I'm looking into it. But I've laid down money on these applications, and so I have to wait and pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 3.97 is awesome! Sorry that growing up sucks sometimes. I feel like that, too, every now and then. Korea is pretty cool and I'd love following you along your journey if you went, but I know God has the perfect plan in mind for you. Praying that he'll reveal it to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a counter to your 3, just because I am also one who's always looking for signs and have discovered that it is only through prayerful discernment (read: lots of time on one's knees) that these things really are made manifest: I don't see Korea being fulfilling for YOU, from what I know of you. If you went the SDA language school route, I have no doubt you would be an incredible success and well loved as a teacher. But I have scruples sending students there, knowing at least a dozen who've gone and just been really...exploited. It reminds me of indentured servitude in a way. If you went to teach high school, I might be more in favor. But you are a person that has tremendous success when she has autonomy over her schedule. The lang. institute just does not afford its employees that luxury. If you're interested, I can put you in touch with some of my friends who've gone and had good experiences though v. challenging experiences.

    This is just one woman's opinion, but it's one woman who cares about you and is excited to see where the Lord leads.

    Love,
    Prof. SL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SL. Definitely something to add to the thought and prayer processes.

      Delete