1-7-13
__________________________
She held the mask loosely. Why had she kept it? If she'd thrown it away, like she'd thought she had, then this wouldn't be a problem. Maybe.
She'd thought she'd never have to put it back on. She'd learned how to take it off, to be herself, around those she lived. She'd learned how to present her true face to the world--or, at least, to her friends.
But, now she was back in--was it the real world? the unreal world?--whichever didn't really matter. They wanted her to put the mask back on, to pretend like before, to tiptoe on eggshells and never speak about what really mattered.
She knew that the mask pinched and chafed when she wore it, but what was she to do? Damned if she did, damned if she didn't.
She sighed.
________________________________
I'm sorry.
ReplyDelete"Damned if she did, damned if she didn't." I can relate to this.
ReplyDeleteJanelle: Yeah, I know. I just really miss Tennessee.
ReplyDeleteKrista: There's probably a lot of people who do relate to this. I wish they didn't have to.