Wednesday, May 26, 2010

People Watching

5-26-10

One of the professors at my university overheard me talking to a fellow student about writing, and she poked her head into our closet-sized office (that I dubbed the 'cloffice') and said, "You have to learn to eavesdrop and people-watch and not feel bad about either of those," and then went back to her work.

I've appreciated that. I've always found people to be fascinating, and the best way to see how people actually are are to observe them while they're unawares. (Not in a creepy way, mind you. People-watching can be done [and should probably only be done] in public places.)

The experiences one has fills the writer's mind with threads of potential for great stories. It takes skill to weave those threads, but the potential exists. That is a powerful thing.

Any of you ever observe anything or anyone that you've ended up using in a work?

~Ashlee

No comments:

Post a Comment